It was a slow CES for TV announcements:
Few truly new product announcements, very limited range of actual 2020 models
Mostly related to big sweeping themes of AI, Connected Ecosystems and some new (old) technologies that have appeared in previous CES announcements
Product heartbeat moving back towards 2-year cycle for platforms, with a smaller annual facelift.
Disappointingly little mention of NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0) – despite potentially offering free UHD reception!
Lot's of repetition of key technologies among brands, at least as demonstrations or statements. Nobody wants to appear to be trailing, even if actual products are still on the horizon.
- 8K: but very little product range commitment, sounding out retailer interest?
- Design / styling: TV as furniture or home enhancement
- Variable frame rate for enhanced gaming
- Improved audio: front-firing speakers, soundbar integration / partner, Dolby Atmos
- Alexa / Google Assistant integration; less talk of IoT hub TV; far-field microphones
For a full rundown of the show, and photos/analysis from the TV brands' booths, please download the attached presentation.