The global market for embedded computer boards, modules and systems is set to rise to $3.8 billion in 2023, up 36 percent from $2.8 billion in 2018, driven by the increasing demand from the industrial automation sector.
Global market revenue in 2018 expanded 6.5 percent from 2017 levels, led by growth in computers-on-modules (COMs) and standalone boards, according to the latest report from the IHS Markit Embedded Computer Boards, Modules, and Systems Annual Service.
Highlights from the June 2019 report include:
- A strong theme emerging in embedded computing in 2019 is the transformation from analytics to artificial intelligence (AI), thanks to the availability of new AI-enabled microprocessors. The result is that computing power is now moving from centralized systems to more distributed systems.
- IHS Markit predicts that industrial internet of things (IIoT) innovation, coupled with the edge-processing power of AI microprocessors, will be key drivers of the embedded computing market in industrial automation over the next five years.
- Embedded computing standards organizations are accelerating the adoption of IIoT by providing open specifications and design guides to aid member companies in creating high-quality, interoperable computing solutions.
- The commercial communications sector continues to experience growing end-user appetite for software-centric solutions rather than xTCA hardware-based solutions. New applications for xTCA systems in different sectors are helping to mitigate the continuing loss of business for xTCA boards.
- In the military embedded systems market, increased U.S. defense spending has benefited sales of boards and systems compliant with the VITA standard. The demand for commonality and open standards is a continuing trend.
About the IHS Markit Embedded Computer Boards, Modules, and Systems Annual Service
The IHS Markit Embedded Computer Boards, Modules, and Systems Annual Service provides outlooks for single-board computers, computer-on-modules and standalone boards across 10 industries and major world regions and countries.