Market Insight

New C-V2X is seen as an enhanced ADAS sensor for cost effective and efficient driving

March 21, 2019

This product is included in:

Want to learn more?
Have an expert contact you.

A key reason for cellular vehicle-to-everything (C-V2X) development is to meet auto industry demand for autonomous driving technologies. In this context, C-V2X point-to-point communication is viewed as a wider radio communication sensor, complementing camera, radar, Lidar and other traditional advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) sensing technologies. Furthermore, C-V2X is becoming a critical solution requirement that can predict potential upcoming dangers and reduce driver reaction time in hazardous conditions.

The future of C-V2X

At the MWC 2019 event in February, Qualcomm demonstrated C-V2X use cases, to illustrate a cost effectiveness and energy efficiency of driving with C-V2X advanced sensing, compared to dedicated short-range communication (DSRC) V2X. However, even with these superior benefits of C-V2X, technical specialists from Qualcomm expect 25 percent of vehicles will be equipped with C-V2X by 2023, leaving 75 percent with DSRC V2X or no V2X at all.

Mixed communication in V2X will continue for at least five years. In this context, the hybrid V2X solution from Continental can solve near- to medium-term connected car requirements. This solution integrates 4G and 5G network access, as well as DSRC and cellular-V2X, for direct V2X communication. It allows vehicle manufacturers to overcome the challenge of mixed communication issues when deploying V2X. It is important to note that C-V2X has strong support in China, South Korea and North America. Support is also growing in Europe, as well as among vehicle manufacturers.

5G connectivity will also quickly gain market share in the automotive market in 2023, and it is forecast to be the leading technology in 2027. China and the United States will be the early adopters of these technologies. The combination of these communication technologies will certainly increase connected car features available to consumers.

Monetization of C-V2X

C-V2X is designed to make travel safer, while allowing lower future infrastructure costs and coverage for priority services. As such, government around the world have mutual interests in this technology. A key challenge is how to monetize the C-V2X communication process. One idea put forward by Ericsson is a dual SIM telematic ECU in the vehicle, with private-public cellular communication access. The telematics must be equipped with C-V2X functions.

To meet the private-public communications, the solution needs to cater two communication channels; primary and secondary. The order of channel usage can be debated; however, one solution is that, the primary channel can be used for car manufacturer’s LTE/5G telematics applications. The secondary communication channel is a secured point-to-point cellular V2X public communication, which can be funded by federal state and local governments. Ericsson argues that this method will improve digital network coverage from mobile network operators, which is a key demand from certain governments.

Geography
Global
Research by Market
Automotive Technology
Share facebook Twitter Google Plus Linked In Add This Contact Us