The presentation is providing a brief outlook of the state of the online subscription video market in the MENA region as it was in the first half of 2018. It provides data on total subscriptions, on rate of growth and on net additions, on comparison with the growth of pay TV subscriptions in the same region. It provides data and analysis on the leading services, in terms of subscriptions and revenues, as well as on the countries, providing a split of subscriptions by country and sub-region (GCC, North Africa, Levant). It analyses the business strategy of the leading service and provides insight on the major role that partnerships between online video services and telecom operators play as accelerators of growth.
Online Video Subscriptions in MENA will grow 80-fold (with a CAGR of 64%) between 2013 and 2022. By 2022 subscriptions will reach 5 million. Online Video Subscriptions in MENA are growing with a rate twice as fast as pay TV subscriptions. As a result, by the end of 2025, Online Video Subscriptions will overpass pay TV ones. STARZ Play Arabia is the leading service in 2018 controlling almost 24% of the market in terms of subscriptions. It is followed by Shahid Plus with 21.7% and by Netflix with 18.4%. Saudi Arabia is the leading market in online video subscriptions followed by the UAE.
List of tables and charts:
- OTT Subscriptions in MENA 2013-2022
- Pay TV vs Online Video Net Additions
- Pay TV vs Online Video Revenues (in $m)
- Online Video Subscriptions split by operator in 2018
- Distribution deals with telcos, pay TV operators, TV manufacturers and countries covered by operator
- Online Video revenues split by operator in 2018
- How the MENA OTT services stack up in 1H2018
- OTT Subscriptions in 2018 split by country
- STARZ PLAY Arabia subscriptions in 2018 split by country
- Netflix subscriptions in 2018 split by country
Number of pages: 16
Number of tables and charts: 10
Principal Research Analyst, Service Providers & Platforms
Mr. Constantinos Papavassiliopoulos, principal research analyst at IHS Markit, covers television market developments.