Vehicle to everything (V2X) communication technology is one of the fundamental building blocks that will enable advanced autonomous driving in the future. This insight includes a quick snapshot of the current V2X market and brief summaries of two V2X standards – Cellular V2X (C-V2X) and Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC).
IHS Markit V2X market snapshot:
Cellular V2X standard:
- C-V2X is a V2X technology that uses the specifications defined by the 3GPP. (Releases 13, 14 and 15)
- C-V2X technology is a new technology that is a few years away from commercial deployment. After the formation of the Cellular V2X consortium, 5G Automotive Association (5GAA) in 2016, C-V2X technology has been rapidly gaining support from the majority of the companies across the automotive value chain.
- C-V2X standard offers direct communication interface (called “PC5 or sidelink”) for short-range vehicle-to-vehicle communication that can be used in vehicle safety use cases. The standard also offers indirect communication interface (called “uU”) that enables connected vehicles to access existing cellular networks that give access to long-range applications that can also utilize cloud-computing.
- Since 2015, Huawei backed by the Chinese government has been investing heavily in the C-V2X technology. Because of this, IHS Markit estimates the first commercial deployment of C-V2X equipped vehicle will take place in China in 2020.
Dedicated Short Range Communication (DSRC) standard:
- DSRC is a V2X technology based on the IEEE’s 802.11p standard.
- DSRC is designed for direct, short-range communications that can be used in vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) applications. DSRC is considered the more mature standard compared to the cellular V2X (C-V2X) standard.
- The DSRC-equipped vehicles have been selling in Japan since 2015 followed by the U.S. from 2017 and Europe soon to join in 2019. Although DSRC is the more mature technology of the two V2X standards, the future of the DSRC standard is uncertain at this time due to the recent introduction of the competing C-V2X standard combined with the slowdown in getting government mandate proposal approval in the U.S.
V2X Technologies Report
IHS Markit recently published a special report on V2X technologies that covers Cellular V2X (C-V2X) and DSRC standards. The report is part of Cellular IoT Intelligence Service or High-Performance Wireless Intelligence Service.