India is one of the fastest growing TV and online markets in the world, driven by its large population and economic growth. It is also the largest market outside the US for 21st Century Fox and Sony Pictures. The country’s online video market has grown rapidly thanks to the easy affordability of mobile devices and data connection. Despite the rapid growth in the online video adoption, TV will remain the largest contributor to Indian advertising revenues in the next five years as broadcasters continue to ramp up programming.
- IHS Markit estimates that online video advertising revenue in India will grow to 60.5 billion rupees ($1.0 billion) in 2021. The subscriber base of paid-for online video services will triple its size to 18 million in 2021.
- TV companies are changing their strategy to adapt to increasing online video consumption.
- TV continues to command the leading share of Indian advertising revenue, growing at CAGR of 14.9% in 2018-2021.
List of tables and charts:
- India: advertising and real GDP growth 2012-2021
- India: Total subscription online video revenue, 2012-2021
- Ad revenue, ad growth and the size of programming spend of key Indian broadcasters in 2017
- A list of independent content producers and affiliated OTT platforms
Number of pages: 7
Number of Tables and Charts: 4
Senior Research Analyst – Advertising & Television Media, IHS Markit
Ms. Kia Ling Teoh is a senior research analyst, Advertising & Television Media at IHS Markit.
Senior Research Analyst – Online Video, IHS Markit
Ms. Jun Wen Woo is a senior research analyst for Online Video at IHS Markit.