Amazon recently announced a number of Alexa-related developments and products, only a few short weeks after the IFA 2017 tradeshow and a week prior to Google’s October 4th product announcement event. Most notably, a variety of new Echo products were announced, with the following developments in particular:
- The redesigned and newly-less-expensive $99 Echo has improved audio fidelity, improved 2nd-gen far field voice recognition, a more compact fabric-covered form factor, and interchangeable cosmetic shells. Amazon is offering buyers a $50 discount if they purchase 3 at once.
- Echo Plus is a $149 combination of the original Echo form factor with a Zigbee smart home hub, with a bundled Philips Hue light bulb.
- Echo Spot is a $129 apparent melding of the Echo Dot and the Echo Show into a tabletop device akin to an alarm clock, with a circular 2.5” video screen combined with small form factor. It is capable of video calls and displaying video clips.
- Echo Connect is a $35 accessory allowing Echo owners to connect their device to a landline to enable speakerphone calling functionality.
- Echo Dot is part of new Fire TV bundles: $79 with the new Fire TV, and $59 with Fire TV Stick.