Our annual Global Mobile Advertising Revenue study shows the market reached $83 billion in 2016, driven by a “mobile-first” consumer environment and improving marketing technologies. In 2016, display advertising increased its share to 54.0 percent of all mobile spend globally, at $45 billion (€34 billion). Search-based advertising commanded a 42.8 percent share, at $36 billion (€27 billion). Messaging-based advertising continues to decline, securing just a 3.1% share in 2016, at $2.6 billion (€1.9 billion).
- Mobile display advertising revenue growth outperforms other formats.
- North America remains the largest mobile advertising market.
- Robust growth in Asia Pacific mobile messaging advertising.
In this report:
- Global mobile advertising revenue up 60.5% year-on-year to $83bn
- Display takes lions share of spend as messaging faces further pressure
- Mobile display advertising revenue growth outperforms other formats
- North America remains the largest mobile advertising market
- Minor changes in share of global mobile advertising revenue
- North America remains the largest mobile display advertising market
- Unchanged regional ranking in mobile search advertising
- Robust growth in Asia Pacific mobile messaging advertising
- Strong differences across format distribution globally
- Latin America mobile display market grows the fastest
- North America search growth takes lead on Latin America
- Definition of Mobile Advertising Formats
List of Tables and Charts:
- Global mobile ad revenue ($m)
- 2015 vs 2016: Mobile format shares
- 2016 revenue gains over 2015 ($m)
- Mobile ad growth in 2016 by format (%)
- 2015 vs 2016: Mobile ad revenues by region ($m)
- 2015 vs 2016: Share of global mobile advertising revenue by region
- 2015 vs 2016: Mobile display ad revenues by region ($m)
- 2015 vs 2016: Mobile search ad revenues by region ($m)
- 2015 vs 2016: Mobile messaging ad revenues by region ($m)
- Mobile ad revenue by format and region
- Mobile display ad growth in 2016 by region
- Mobile search ad growth in 2016 by region
Number of Pages: 16
Number of Tables and Charts: 12
Senior Research Analyst – Advertising & Television Media, IHS Markit
Ms. Kia Ling Teoh is a senior research analyst, Advertising & Television Media at IHS Markit.
Senior Research Analyst – Advertising, IHS Markit
Ms. Qingzhen (Jessie) Chen, is a senior analyst in the Advertising Research team at IHS Markit, based in London, UK.