This set-top box market monitor report gives a high level overview of the global STB market with volume and value data, regional and platform level discussion, and vendor market share information.
- Global STB shipments grewto97.4M in Q4 2016 from 92.6M in Q3 2016. Volume growth was drivenby continuingstrong demand for IPTV boxes in China, OTT retail devices and cables boxes in Asia Pacific and North America. Global STB revenues were $5.8B in Q4 2016, up 7.3% from $5.4B in Q3 2016, in-line with shipments.
- 2016 was a better year for STBs than 2015. Shipments were up 8.7% year-on-year to 371M from 342M in 2015, with revenue up 3.1% from $20.9B to $21.5B over the period. This was down to the volume growth stemming from UHD and next generation set-top boxes shipped to EMEA and North America in the second half of the year.
- Digital TV and pay TV saturation will lead to reduced shipments globally post 2018. A shift in demand away from North America with its high ASP boxes and slow demand for advanced STBs in APAC will see revenues fall faster than shipments, at 4.1% CAGR to $20.2B in 2021. Increased demand for advanced or UHD STBs would see this outlook improve.
- In Q4 2016 Arris ledthe global STB marketin terms of revenue and volume.
In this report:
- Global Set-Top Box market by region
- Global Set-Top Box market by platform
- Global Set-Top Box market by box type
- Pay Satellite: STB shipments increased to 18.3M in Q4 2016, up from 17.0M in Q3 2016
- Cable: Cable shipments grew to 22.3M in Q4 2016, up from 21.1M in Q3 2016
- IPTV: IPTV shipments increased to 17.9M in Q4 2016, up from 17.1M in Q3 2016
- Pay DTT: Pay DTT declined to 0.93M in Q4 2016, down from 0.95M in Q3 2016
- OTT Retail Devices: OTT retail devices grew to 15.7M in Q4 2016, up from 14.0M in Q3 2016
- Free TV: Free TV shipments were 22.3M in Q4 2016, flat compared with Q3 2016
- Asia Pacific shipments grew to 43.9M in Q4 2016, up from 42.3M in Q3 2016
- EMEA shipments grew to 25.1M in Q4 2016, up from 24.1M in Q3 2016
- North America grew to 20.9M in Q4 2016, up from 18.8M in Q3 2016
- South & Central America STB shipments were 7.7M in Q4 2016, up from 7.5M in Q3 2016
- Arris is the revenue market share leader on the back of a strong Q4 2016 performance in North America
- Arris is the shipment market share leader in Q4 2016 on the back of cable shipments to North America and EMEA
List of Tables and Charts:
- Current total market forecast compared to previous forecast (2016 - 2021)
- Global set-top box shipments and revenues (2015 - 2021)
- Global set-top box shipments and revenues (Q1 2015- Q4 2017)
- STB Revenue Growth Matrices (2016 - 2021)
- Vendor Market Share by region, by platform (Q3 2015 - Q4 2016)
- Key STB Vendor shipments and revenues (Q4 2016 - Q3 2016)
- Timeline of key set-top box market drivers (2000-2021)
Number of Pages: 22
Number of Tables and Charts: 46