For the fourth quarter of 2016, the overall handset market has finally rebounded after declining for three consecutive quarters: total shipments grew 5.1% year on year to 513.6m. The smartphone shipments stood at 405.6m, 10.1% up from the previous year.
- Apple shipments have exceeded Samsung for the first time since 2012: it shipped 78.4m smartphones while Samsung shipped 76.5m units.
- Apple’s iPhone ASP increased to USD 659, indicating the larger screen and more expensive Plus models are gaining popularity.
- In Q4 Samsung shipped 90m handsets, 76.5m of which were smartphones, a 7% decrease year on year. However IHS believes Samsung's Q4 performance was acceptable in light of the unprecedented Note 7 recall.
- OPPO and Vivo, the two rising stars of 2016, continued their momentum: both saw explosive growths of over 100% this quarter. For the first time, the two sister OEMs have both surpassed Huawei in the domestic market of China.
- Huawei retained the third spot in terms of market share thanks to its global business. For the first time, Huawei shipped more smartphones to overseas market than China.
- Android OEMs, LG, Sony and HTC, continued their slides. LG was in a slight better position than the other two: its shipments shrunk 7.8% year on year, but it was 32.9% and 44.4% decline for Sony and HTC respectively.
- Xiaomi's growth halted in 2016: its shipments fell for three quarters in a row.
- Majority of the smartphones launched in Q4 2016 came with Android 6 (Marshmallow) as the pre-installed operating system version.
List of tables and charts:
- Handset revenue by OEM
- Smartphone percentage of shipments
- Apple quarterly smartphone shipments and market share
- iPhone's share of Apple total revenue
- Share of iPhone 6 and 6s models in China - Active Installed Base - Oct 2016
- IP rating in Japan - Active Installed Base
- Apple company revenue by region: year on year growth
- Samsung quarterly handset shipment
- Samsung market share
- Samsung IM division profitability
- Share of branded Chinese smartphone shipments
- Collective smartphone market share of major Chinese OEMs
- Domestic and export: Huawei, OPPO and Vivo
- Smartphone shipments of major Chinese OEMs
- Smartphone shipments of ZTE, TCL-Alcatel and Lenovo
- Xiaomi quarterly smartphone shipments and market share
- LeEco quarterly smartphone shipments
- Launch timeline: Google Pixel and Nexus phones
- Number of launched devices per quarter
- Number of brands launching handsets
- Android OS version at launch
- Share of Chip makers, based on launched devices
Number of Pages: 20
Number of Tables and Charts: 22
Senior Analyst, Mobile Location & Mobile Devices
Gerrit Schneemann has been following the location based services and applications market for the last six years. As part of the Portables & LBS service, he has followed the rise and decline of the portable navigation device (PND) market and is now focusing on how location has become an integral part of the mobile value chain.
Analyst - Smartphones & Mobile
Ying Yang is an analyst within the mobile and telecom team covering the global smartphone market. She is involved in research related to smartphone market forecasting and assists with custom consulting projects on the mobile device market.