The cooling trend which emerged from the second half of 2015 continued to this quarter. The two biggest players, Samsung and Apple, have both stumbled. The two tech giants take up 29% of the global smartphone shipments, down from 33% in the same quarter last year. This Handsets & Smartphones Market Monitor report examines the results of Q3 and examines the major trends in the handset and smartphone market.
- Samsung halted the sales of its latest flagship Note 7 due to battery deficiencies. Its handset shipments suffered a 15.2% negative growth year on year.
- According to IHS databases, S7 and S7 Edge are unlikely to fill the gap left by Note 7.
- Apple also suffered a negative growth in both shipments and revenue, but it remains the biggest player in terms of revenue market share. Apple needs to look for new growth sources.
- Other OEMs which have experiencing negative growth this quarter include Microsoft, ZTE, LG, Lenovo, Micromax, Sony, HTC, TCL-Alcatel, Xiaomi, Coolpad and Blackberry.
- Among the major brands, only Huawei, OPPO, Vivo, LeEco and Gionee - all China-headquartered, have seen a positive growth in Q3.
- For this quarter Android 6.0 (Mashmallow) dominates the newly luanched Android devices.
- Dual-camera becomes a new hardware differentiator.
List of Tables and Charts:
- Handset revenue by OEM
- Handset shipments by OEM
- Smartphone percentage of shipments
- Feature phone market share
- Number of launched devices per quarter
- Number of brands launching handsets
- Samsung quarterly handset shipment
- Samsung market share
- Samsung average selling price
- Galaxy S5, S6 and S7 shipments
- Galaxy Note 4 and Note 5 shipments in launch year
- Apple quarterly growth
- Apple quarterly handset shipment and market share
- iPhone's share of Apple total revenue
- Apple company revenue by region
- iPhone in India - Active Installed Base
- Apple company revenue by region: year-on-year growth
- Smartphone shipments of Huawei, OPPO and Vivo
- Year-on-year growth of Huawei, OPPO and Vivo
- Collective smartphone market share of major Chinese OEMs
- Year-on-year growth of Major Chinese OEMs
- Share of branded Chinese smartphone shipments
- Smartphone shipments of LG, Sony and HTC
- Micromax shipments
- Android OS version at launch
- Share of chip makers in newly launched smartphone models
- Screen sizes of launched devices
- Screen size of launched devices
- Dual rear-facing camera equipped smartphones
Number of Pages: 21
Number of Tables and Charts: 29
Sr Research Analyst, Smartphone
Gerrit Schneemann has been following the location based services and applications market for the last six years. As part of the Portables & LBS service, he has followed the rise and decline of the portable navigation device (PND) market and is now focusing on how location has become an integral part of the mobile value chain.