This set-top box market monitor report gives a high level overview of the global STB market with volume and value data, regional and platform level discussion, and vendor market share information.
Global STB shipments were 93.0M in Q2 2016, up 3.6% from 89.8M in Q1 2016. Volume growth was driven by continuing strong demand for IPTV boxes in China and OTT retail devices. Global STB revenues were $5.5B in Q2 2016, up 5.0% from $5.3B in Q1 2016, mostly in-line with shipments. 2016 will be a better year for STBs than 2015. Shipments will be up 7.7% year-on-year to 378M from 351M in 2015, with revenue up 6.0% from $21.4B to $22.7B over the period. This will be down to the volume growth stemming from IP-centric boxes, which typically utilise cloud-processing for advanced services leading to a lower ASP.
In this report:
- Global Set-Top Box market by region
- Global Set-Top Box market by platform
- Global Set-Top Box market by box type
- Pay Satellite: North America and Asia Pacific drove pay satellite recovery in Q2 2016 to 16.8M, up from 15.1M in Q1 2016
- Cable: Cable shipments fell to 20.8M in Q2 2016 because of reduced demand as cable digitisation projects enter completion
- IPTV: IPTV shipments increased to 17.3M in Q2 2016 with China IPTV driving demand
- Pay DTT: Pay DTT declined to 1.0M in Q2 2016 as demand in EMEA begins to dry up
- OTT Retail Devices: The annual refresh of OTT retail devices saw them grow to 14.4M in Q2 2016, from 12.5M in Q1 2016
- Free TV: Free TV will peak in 2017 on the back of ASO completion to then fall towards 2020
- Asia Pacific will continue to be defined by China IPTV in Q2 2016, shipments grew to 168.4M
- EMEA STB revenues grew to $1.63B, up from $1.60B despite decline in shipments in Q2 2016
- North America recovers in Q2 2016, shipping over 18.9M units, up from 17.8M in Q1 2016
- South & Central America weathered the economic difficulties, shipments grew to 6.8M in Q2 2016, from 6.4M in Q1 2016
- Arris is the revenue market share leader on the back of a strong Q2 2016 performance in North America
- Technicolor is the shipment market share leader in Q2 2016 on the back of satellite shipments to Asia Pacific
- Timeline of Key Set-Top Box Market Drivers
List of Tables and Charts:
- Current total market forecast compared to previous forecast (2015 - 2020)
- Global set-top box shipments and revenues (2014 - 2020)
- Global set-top box shipments and revenues (Q3 2014- Q2 2017)
- STB Revenue Growth Matrices (2016 - 2020)
- Vendor Market Share by region, by platform (Q3 2015 - Q2 2016)
- Key STB Vendor shipments and revenues (Q1 2016 - Q2 2016)
- Timeline of key set-top box market drivers (2000-2020)
Number of Pages: 22
Number of Tables and Charts: 46
Executive Director – Research and Analysis, Service Provider Technology
Mr. Daniel Simmons, executive director at IHS Markit, leads a global team responsible for research on broadband, mobile and video access networks.
Senior Research Analyst, Service Provider Technology
Ms. Raphaela Lynn, a senior analyst at IHS Markit, focuses on the set-top box and conditional access market.