The handset market remains stagnant highlighted by Apple's first-time-in-history decline in H1 2016. Samsung recovered slightly on the back of Galaxy S7 and J series. Huawei stays in the top 3 position while the market sees two Chinese OEMs OPPO and Vivo join the top 5 league. The Handsets & Smartphones Market Monitor report examines the results of Q2 and examines the major trends in the handset and smartphone market.
- According to IHS Active Installed base data, Samsung’s latest flagship device, the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, have already taken a noticeable position in the user base just months after release.
- Apple's smartphone shipments declined from 51.2m in last quarter to 40.4m in Q2, representing a decrease of 15% year-on-year.
- OPPO and Vivo has becomes the 4th and 5th largest smartphone OEM in H1 2016.
- Major Chinese brands now make up almost 50% of the global smartphone market thanks to the booming number of domestic smartphone users as well as the global expansion.
List of tables and charts:
- Smartphone percentage of shipments
- Handset revenue by OEM
- Handset shipments by OEM
- Samsung quarterly handset shipment
- Samsung market share
- Samsung average selling price
- Samsung top models- Active Installed Base
- Glaxy S6 and S7 shipment
- Apple quarterly growth
- Apple quarterly handset shipment and market share
- Apple average selling price
- Shipment of iPhone 6, 6s and SE
- Top iPhone models- Active Installed Base
- Share of the total iPhone active installed base after launch
- Smartphone shipment of top Chinese OEMs
- Year-on-year growth of Huawei, OPPO and Vivo
- Smartphone shipment of Xiaomi, OPPO and Vivo
- Market share of top brands
- Share of branded Chinese smartphone shipments
- Collective smartphone market share of major Chinese OEMs
- Smartphone shipments of LG, Sony and HTC
- LG top models- Active Installed Base
- LG Nexus, G4, V10 and G5 shipments
- HTC top 10 models – Active Installed Base
- HTC flagship shipment – One M8, One M9, One M9s and 10
- Micromax shipments
- Non-smartphone market share
- Screen sizes of smartphone releases
- Large screen vs. the rest
Number of pages: 16
Number of tables and charts: 29
Sr Research Analyst, Smartphone
Gerrit Schneemann has been following the location based services and applications market for the last six years. As part of the Portables & LBS service, he has followed the rise and decline of the portable navigation device (PND) market and is now focusing on how location has become an integral part of the mobile value chain.