Targeted at decision makers and planners who require strategic and tactical insight into the opportunity and evolution of the VR market, this report examines the Virtual Reality market opportunity across platforms, hardware, premium content and applications. It provides VR headset adoption forecasts by country across major brands, the premium content opportunity across games, apps and video content, analysis of emerging VR ecosystems and the market positioning of VR platforms.
This is IHS Markit Technology’s most comprehensive review of the VR market, including in-depth quantitative analysis and country level segmentation so clients can make the right decisions about their own VR strategies.
- How quickly are VR headsets being adopted?
- What type of headsets are being adopted?
- How much will be spent on VR headsets during the next fives years?
- What are the shipments, sell-through, cumulative sell-through and installed base of VR headsets by country?
- What are the key country-level variations? How are local suppliers impacting the competitive environment?
- How will each major brand of headset sell?
- How will the global shipments of VR headset displays develop during the next five years?
- Who are the major suppliers of displays for VR headsets?
- What is the technological roadmap for VR headset technology?
- Which VR platforms are best positioned to succeed?
- How are smartphone manufacturers positioning and growing their VR ecosystems?
- What are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of major VR playforms and ecosystems?
- How do the VR strategies of companies such as Google, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft and Facebook differ?
- What does the value chain for consumer VR look like?
- Which companies are controlling the distribution of VR content?
- How much will be spent on VR games by country and VR headset platform during the next five years?
- How many premium VR video titles will be produced during the next five years?
- How many views/transactions for VR video will take place over the next fives years by country?
- How many premium live streamed VR video events (e.g. sports and concerts) will be hosted in the coming years?
- What other applications and industries are relevant to VR and how are those opportunities developing?
As head of games research at IHS, Piers Harding-Rolls leads a team of analysts tracking the evolution of the games sector across all major packaged game and digital games segments.
Senior Analyst, Home Entertainment
Jonathan is a senior analyst in the IHS Home Entertainment team, covering the Digital and Physical markets in the UK and Nordics. Jonathan has contributed on a range of subjects including competitive analysis surrounding pricing, changes in viewing behaviour, SVoD consumer strategy and piracy
Director, Operators & Mobile Media
Jack Kent is a director in the IHS mobile team covering all forms of mobile content with a focus on mobile applications, games, music and social networks.
Senior Director, Mobile & Telecoms
As senior director and head of the IHS mobile and telecoms team, Ian Fogg directs research, consulting, analysis, and forecasting of the mobile and telecoms market.