Global 3D box office revenue rose 10.3% in 2015 to $7.8bn according to IHS estimates, heralding a strong year for the format following an apparent wane in the popularity of 3D in mature markets. The success of 3D in 2015 can be traced back to China’s ongoing 3D boom (in turn linked to ongoing and unprecedented screen construction) which further accelerates its status as the market leader and global home of 3D. Nonetheless a strong title slate from the US Studios with a higher 3D correlation was a major contributor to new records for 3D as well as total box office gross, the latter eclipsing $37.7bn globally.
- Global 3D box office revenue rose 10% in 2015 to $7.8bn, a new record, according to IHS estimates
- In North America, 3D box office rose 16.2% to $1.62bn, the first annual rise in 3D revenues for three years.
- China’s 3D market is now worth $1.17 billion more than North America
- The market share of 3D rallied slightly in North America in 2015 (to 14.6%) after three years of decline.
- In North America, the top ten 3D titles accounted for the majority or 75% of all 3D revenue, reflecting a growing dependence on top tier titles
- While 3D is increasingly seen as one of a now growing array of premium formats, the 75,000 strong 3D screen footprint presents a significant (and the largest) opportunity to continue to drive incremental revenues.
List of tables and charts:
- Global 3D box office 2010-2015
- Global 3D screen growth 2010-2015
- 3D box office revenue in North America 2010-2015
- 3D box office growth in China 2010-2015
- 3D box office North America vs China
- Number of PLF screens with RGB laser
- Territories ranked by digital 3D screen penetration Q1 2016
- China as a growing proportion of world 3D screens 2010-Q1 2016
- Global 3D box office split by region
- 3D box office by major 3D territory 2013-2015
- 3D title revenue in North America split by format 2010-2015
Number of Pages: 11
Number of Tables and Charts: 11