The IHS Technology SAN and Converged Data Center Network Equipment Quarterly Market Tracker tracks storage area network (SAN) Fibre Channel switches and host bus adapters (HBAs), converged data center network adapters, and switch ports-in-use for storage.
Following are highlights from the first quarter (Q1) 2016 edition of the report, which includes data for the fourth quarter (Q4) and full-year 2015.
“32G Fibre Channel host bus adapters from QLogic and Avago are now shipping, with 32G Fibre Channel switching anticipated to get underway in the first half of the year. We expect pull from Gen 6 Fibre Channel, both 32G and 128G flavors, to buoy the Fibre Channel market. The demand for 16G and 32G is now more acute given the release of Intel’s Grantley and the increasing use of solid-state drive storage.
In anticipation of 32G, 16G continues its rapid ramp and 8G is making a quick exit. Our forecasts show 16G penetration for Fibre Channel SAN reaching around 92 percent of ports in 2020, and 8G ports dropping to just 8 percent of ports shipped by 2020. We’re planning to include a 32G forecast in our second quarter (Q2) 2016 SAN and converged data center report.”
- Cliff Grossner, Ph.D.
Senior Research Director, Data Center, Cloud and SDN
SAN and Converged Data Center Market Highlights
- The worldwide converged data center network adapter market was up 18 percent in 2015 over 2014, to $4.1 billion
- In the fourth quarter of 2015 (Q4 2015), converged data network adapter sales were down 2 percent sequentially
- Global Fibre Channel SAN switch and adapter equipment revenue was down 6 percent in 2015 from the prior year, to $2.4 billion
- In Q4 2015, Fibre Channel SAN switch and adapter sales increased 8 percent sequentially due to demand for solid state drives and an uptick in China
- Brocade continues to dominate Fibre Channel SAN market share, as does Intel on the converged data center side
- 25GE will begin shipping on converged data center network adapters in the first half of 2016
SAN Report Synopsis
The quarterly IHS SAN and converged data center network report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2020, analysis and trends for fixed Fibre Channel switches and HBAs; converged data center switch ports-in-use for storage (iSCSI, FCoE, FC-to-FCoE); and converged data center network adapters (iSCSI, CNAs). Vendors tracked include Avago, Brocade, Cisco, Emulex, HP, Intel, QLogic, others.
For more information about the report, contact the sales department at IHS in the Americas at +1 844 301 7334 or email@example.com; in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) at +44 1344 328 300 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or Asia Pacific (APAC) at +604 291 3600 or technology_APAC@ihs.com.