The storage area network (SAN) market continued its year-over-year declines in the third quarter of 2015 (3Q15), due to slowing flash storage growth. Following a 5 percent sequential decline in 2Q15, worldwide SAN equipment revenue, including Fibre Channel switches and host bus adapters (HBAs), was down 12 percent in 3Q15 from 3Q14, to $576 million.
The global converged data center network adapter market, meanwhile, was up 10 percent in 3Q15 from the prior quarter.
SAN AND CONVERGED DATA CENTER MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Brocade once again dominated the SAN switch and adapter market in Q3, while Cisco remained firmly in 2nd place and QLogic rounded out the top 3
- 32G Fibre Channel host bus adapters (HBAs) and Fibre Channel switches are expected to arrive in 2016, keeping the market relatively stable
- Getting a jump on 32G, QLogic introduced a family of higher-performance and 32G-ready 16G Fibre Channel quad-port adapters that support 32G with a software upgrade that’s anticipated in the first half of 2016 (1H16)
- Brocade’s 32G SAN is expected to be available in 1H16
- Intel led converged data center network adapter market share in Q3, followed by Avago and Cisco
- 25G will begin shipping on converged data center network adapters in 1H16
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: Log in to view Cliff Grossner’s SAN and converged data center market update, live Date 22 at 11:00 AM ET or on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=952.
SAN REPORT SYNOPSIS
The quarterly IHS Infonetics SAN and Converged Data Center Network Equipment report tracks chassis and fixed Fibre Channel (FC) switches; Fibre Channel HBAs; converged data center switch ports-in-use for storage (iSCSI, FCoE, FC-to-FCoE); and converged data center network adapters (iSCSI, CNAs). The research service provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends. Vendors tracked include ALE, Arista, Brocade, Cisco, Dell, Emulex, HP, Huawei, Intel, Juniper, Lenovo, QLogic, others. This report is part of the IHS Data Center Networks Intelligence Service.
# # #