Shipments of bare metal switches paused in the third quarter of 2015 (3Q15) as cloud service providers (CSPs) wait for Tomahawk-based products supporting 25GE and 100GE to hit the market next quarter.
Bare metal switches represented 10 percent of data center Ethernet ports shipped in 3Q15, down from 12 percent in 2Q15.
DATA CENTER NETWORK MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Worldwide data center network equipment revenue—including data center Ethernet switches, application delivery controllers (ADCs) and WAN optimization appliances (WOAs)—was up 7 percent sequentially in 3Q15, to $3.1 billion
- Data center Ethernet switch revenue grew 6 percent quarter-over-quarter
- ADC sales were up 5 percent from 2Q15
- WOA revenue increased 19 percent sequentially
- Citrix was #1 in ADC virtual appliance market share in 3Q15, while Riverbed dominated the WAN optimization market
- At ONUG NY in November, startups and traditional WAN optimization vendors demonstrated software-defined WAN (SD-WAN) traction with large enterprises and partnerships with service providers offering SD-WAN services
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL
Clients: Log in to view Cliff Grossner’s data center network market recap and outlook, live Dec. 16 at noon ET or on-demand: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=951.
DATA CENTER REPORT SYNOPSIS
The quarterly IHS Infonetics Data Center Network Equipment report provides market size, vendor market share, forecasts, analysis and trends for data center Ethernet switches, bare metal Ethernet switches, Ethernet switches sold in bundles, application delivery controllers (ADC) and WAN optimization appliances (WOA). Vendors tracked: A10, ALE, Arista, Array Networks, Aryaka, Barracuda, Blue Coat, Brocade, CloudGenix, Cisco, Citrix, Dell, Exinda, F5, HP, Huawei, IBM, Ipanema, Juniper, Kemp, NEC, Radware, Riverbed, Siaras, Silver Peak, Talari, VeloCloud, Viptela, others. This report is part of the IHS Data Center Networks Intelligence Service.