The leading mobile messaging apps tracked by IHS claimed a combined audience of 4bn active users in Q3 2015, up over 40% on the same period in 2014. Facebook (WhatsApp, Messenger) and Tencent (WeChat, QQ) remaing the dominant players in the global messaging app market.Tencet continued to invest in Western messaging apps in Q3, investing $50m in Canada's Kik.
- Q3 Messaging App MAUs
- Q3 Social & Communications app funding and M&A activity
- Yahoo and Samsung innovate
- Facebook and Tencent dominate
In this report:
- WhatsApp maintains Q3 lead, growth slows overall
- Facebook launches 'M' assistant
- Kik raises $50m from Tencent
- Asian apps see revenue growth beyond advertising and games
List of tables and charts:
- Kik: investments and key events
- LINE: revenues by category ($m)
- Kakao: revenues by category ($m)
- WeChat MAUs (m)
- China: smarthone and mobile penetration (%)
- Hike: registered users (m)
- India: 2G,3G,4G penetration (%)
- Social and Communications funding
- Social and Communications M&A activity
- Selected funding and M&A deals
- Facebook, Tencent, Other MAUs
- Messaging app MAUs: Q3 2013 - Q3 2015
Number of pages: 15Number of charts and tables: 15
Director, Media and Advertising
Jack Kent leads IHS Markit’s Media and Advertising research, heading up a team of analysts covering Games, Cinema, TV Channels & Programming, Home Entertainment and Advertising research.
Senior Research Analyst – Online Video, IHS Markit
Ms. Jun Wen Woo is a senior research analyst for Online Video at IHS Markit.
Senior Principal Analyst, IoT
Julian Watson is the senior principal analyst of Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity research at IHS Markit. He is responsible for analyzing IoT technologies, applications and business models.