A wave of consolidation and FTTP (fibre-to-the-premises) deployments will reshape South Africa’s broadband market. FTTP deployments by wholesalers such as Vumatel give the opportunity for ISPs to bypass Telkom South Africa’s last-mile infrastructure, putting pressure on the incumbent.
- Superfast deployments in South Africa are gaining traction.
- Wholesale superfast offerings will drive retail competition.
- M&A is reshaping the internet market.
- The ambitions of MTN and Vodacom in the fixed broadband market pose a particular threat to Telkom South Africa.
In this report:
Details of internet access acquisitions in 2014 by Dark Fibre Africa, Internet Solutions, MTN and Vodacom.
FTTP/FTTB deployment plans and pricing approaches from MTN, Telkom South Africa, Vodacom and Vumatel.
- Major telecoms acquisitions in South Africa in 2014
- RGUs by operator: MTN, Telkom and Vodacom, Q3 2014
Number of pages: 6
Number of charts and tables: 2