This report examines the evolving competitive landscape for cellular M2M platform services, specifically M2M connection platforms (MCPs) and M2M application platforms (MAPs). Mobile operators have deployed M2M connection platforms to tailor their infrastructure and systems to the needs of the M2M market. Operators’ traditional systems and processes are oriented toward serving mobile handset service subscribers.
- Key findings and implications
- M2M connection platforms help operators to profitably deploy M2M connectivity services
- Jasper Wireless, Ericsson and the merchant-market MCP option
- Self-built MCPs versus merchant market MCPs
- M2M application platforms help to extend operators’ value-added service strategies
- MAP market drivers and challenges
- Operators are typically forming partnerships with MAP vendors, rather than creating their own MAPs
- Longer-term prospects for MAPs
List of Figures
- Figure 1 - Cellular M2M connection and revenue forecast - world - 2012 to 2017
- Figure 2 - Cellular M2M application platform revenue forecast - world - 2012 to 2016
Senior Principal Analyst, IoT Platforms
Sam Lucero is a seasoned industry analyst with over 16 years of experience analyzing telecommunications and networking technology markets. His current area of research focus centers on the Internet of Things (IoT) platforms market.