The industrial electronics market was worth $34.0 billion in 2013 or 11% of the entire semiconductor market. Industrial electronics spans a variety of application fields comprising manufacturing and process automation, test and measurement, medical electronics, building and home control, power and energy, military and civil aerospace, security and video surveillance, and industrial 3-D printers.
Industrial electronics is not just a niche; it is an exciting market with more than 100 semiconductor suppliers – 50 of these companies earned more than $100 million from this segment in 2013. It is an exciting market because it typically provides higher margins than other semiconductor categories, is less cyclic, and the mid- to long-term demand for industrial electronics is bound to soar: Factory automation will need more intelligence, but so will buildings to reduce their energy consumption and emissions. The medical electronics market will continue in its goal to benefit an increasingly ageing population. Finally, growing demand in BRIC countries for building infrastructure and aerospace will also drive the growth of the industrial electronics market.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the fastest growing segments?
- What are the key trends and regulations driving the market?
- Who are the suppliers and buyers of semiconductors for industrial electronics?
- Where are industrial electronics devices designed?
- What is the impact of the emerging BRIC countries?
- What are the opportunities for fast growing markets e.g. smart meters and LED general lighting?
- Semiconductor companies
- Purchasing departments at system companies, e.g. for medical devices, defense and aerospace, energy, automation …
- EMS and ODMs
- Semiconductor foundries
Associate Director, Semiconductor Market Shares and Industrial Electronics
Robbie Galoso specializes in market research with years of experience in primary and secondary research projects involving companies in the electronics industry. At IHS, Robbie manages the overall data quality of its semiconductor market share databases and its timely delivery to clients.